A Couple of My Favorite Gluten Free Soups
Last week when the weather here in NC was so bitterly cold, we chowed down on a couple new soup recipes. I thought I’d pool several of my favorite soup recipes in one post and share them with you. I’ll post the recipe as I originally received it and put my changes in red, in case you want to share it with someone who can still use the gluten version.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots (thinly sliced)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (I left this out…we don’t do celery)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed potatoes
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (white rice flour)
- 2 cups cubed Cheddar cheese (I used shredded)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large pot, melt 1 tablespoon butter or margarine over medium heat: cook and stir vegetables and beef , until beef is brown.
- Stir in basil and parsley. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Melt the remainder of butter in a saucepan and stir in flour. Add the milk, stirring until smooth on low heat.
- Gradually add milk mixture to the soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Stir in cheese. When cheese is melted, add sour cream and heat through. Do not boil.
Let me say…this was GOOD soup. I doubled the recipe so I can also say that it freezes well. I originally left the sour creme out and my family loved it, but I personally added it to my bowl and it REALLY enhanced the flavor.
Delicious “Virus Killing Soup”
Friends of mine shared this recipe with me when cold and flu season began. I didn’t think much about it till we started getting some cold symptoms so wanted to give it a try. I thought it was going to taste nasty, but to my surprise, it was awesome! Now I make it just because we love it. The orginal sourse was a blog called “Eat At Home.” I”ll post the recipe as I make it.
- the meat from one whole chicken
- 1-1 1/2 bulbs of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- cayenne pepper, about 1 tsp.
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 boxes gluten free chicken broth
- sliced carrots
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (I omitted)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb (I omitted)
- 1/2 cup white wine, optional
- 1-2 cans diced tomatoes