Samuel’s Coming Home and Family Update

YES! I am so excited to see my son! So much so that when I realized that his flight actually lands three hours later than I’d been thinking for the last eight weeks, I started to cry. I mean, it’s ONLY three hours later, but those will be LONG hours for this mom. But I PROMISE to try to not embarrass him tomorrow when I grab my kid and stick him back under my wing welcome my young man home. I’m sure we will BOTH be ready for a hug…after all, he IS the most touchy feely member of the Branch family. I’m ready to dispense back rubs, leg rubs, head rubs and what ever else he needs…for the first day. LOL! I’m NOT as touchy feely as he is!!

Samuel leaves Alaska a bit after 9 p.m. ALASKA time which means in the wee hours of the morning here. 1:10 a.m. to be exact. He will arrive in Houston, Texas for a layover around 8 a.m. (EST). He then leaves TX at 9:44 a.m. to return to RDU at 12:26 p.m. Since he is flying overnight, I’m sure some sleep on the flight would do him good. But I’ve BTDT and let’s just say we need to pray that he can sleep some. I was given the name of a website that tracks flights the entire way from start to finish and plan to have it hooked up as soon as I get up in the morning. I’ll probably be online when he leaves AK as well, so I’ll be able to go to bed knowing he is on his way home. Also pray for everything involved with the flight…baggage check in, seat assignments, and also, let’s pray for those on the plane he will come into contact with on his way home. Pray for boldness and for him to speak when the Lord leads him to do so.

While I have your attention…there are a few other things I need to update most of you on and ask for prayer…

Kenny has a doctor’s appointment tomorrow afternoon at 2:15 to have his knee checked. He was working at church one night last week and sort of twisted it. He saw a PA with Raleigh Orthopedic Clinic on Thursday and she thinks he has torn his meniscus. He had an MRI on Friday and they will go over the results with him tomorrow with Dr. Wallace Andrew. Dr. Andrew is also supposed to look at his wrist which has been in a splint most of the last 3-4 weeks. It is supposedly a sprain, but he will take another look at it. It has felt better the last couple days but I have a sneaky suspicion that is because of the medication he is taking for his knee. He is ALSO supposed to start physical therapy on the 18th for pain he is having in his hip that the doc…a different one…thinks is related to his disc issues in his lower back. The man is FALLIN’ APART! And unfortunately, even with all these things being orthopedic in nature, it takes a different doc to deal with each area. It’s been super frustrating for Kenny, especially when he goes to pay a separate co-pay for each one!

I would appreciate prayer as well. Last week was really rough on the Celiac front. I’m finding I am sensitive to several different things right now and I ended up cutting my diet down to chicken, rice, potatoes, bananas and grapes for several days while my body leveled out. I then began to add in one thing at a time so I could see specifically what would bother me. I’ve had success adding in broccoli and cauliflower (whoopie!!!…NOT!). I caved Saturday night and added in Rice Chex (gluten free) and a certain brand of rice milk that is easily tolerated by most Celiacs. One of them, or both, is not my friend. I don’t know if it is a cross contamination issue or just that my body isn’t ready for something “processed” at this point. It makes having a quick snack no simple task but I’m dealing with it. Just sometimes better than others. With Kenny needing my help, my frustrations with food and being in pain myself, I have been really discouraged a lot. I am also waiting on the delivery for my wheat co-op which will probably be this week as well. I don’t have a great deal of leeway in terms of when it comes in and I have my OWN doctor’s appointments to dodge. So if you wouldn’t mind praying for me to be at peace with my illness, Kenny’s injuries, schedules I cannot control and life in general, that would be such a blessing to me.

I can’t close this without making sure that I give glory to my Father. When I am discouraged, He reminds me in His Word to keep the faith. When I am in pain from the ill effects of Celiac on my body, He understands my pain. When I start to grow weary in well-doing, He reminds me that if I don’t faint, I will reap blessing in His timing. When I get cranky because I can only tolerate 5 things in my diet, I am reminded that He cares for my every need and I am not going hungry. I could go on and on…but I think you get the picture. His love for me is beyond my comprehension.

Update as of 9:30 p.m. – Samuel’s flight leaving Alaska has been delayed 2 hours and 13 minutes. No biggie, I guess, except considering his layover in TX is only 1 hour and 44 minutes…see what I’m getting at? He’s gonna miss that one it seems. It would require that flight being delayed as well for him to get home even just 2-3 hours late. He THINKS there is another flight out of TX later tomorrow. I’ll update as I get more information. His cell phone is pretty much dead so he will call me tomorrow, probably collect, when he gets into TX. I will be following his flight online so I’ll know he’s landed before he can even call me. I’m so thankful for it!

Yes, I cried again.


2 thoughts on “Samuel’s Coming Home and Family Update

  1. Awww first of all, BIG HUGS TO YOU (((BETH)))

    Wow, you are going through a lot lately, but I love how you praise the Lord through all of this. Thank you for sharing your heart – your transparency has always been remarkable to me!
    Love you sister! and keep us updated. I was checking to see if Samuel made it home last nite. I thought I saw on Kenny’s FB that he made it at 1am but maybe I’m confused?
    Love you, Jules

  2. He’s home and still sleeping! He was one tired young man, but anxious to do “Christmas” with all the stuff he brought home for us. I’ll try to update my blog later today, but right now I’m working on the details of a 20,000 lb wheat order that’s coming in tomorrow morning. I am SO not ready for this physically, but…tomorrow’s the day. The Lord is just going to have to get me through it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s